The one of twelve deodorants of 2018.
Back by popular demand is my #stankfreechallenge! New to Beauty Finds Adventures?!? Well, my STANK FREE CHALLENGE is a monthly review of the latest and greatest (and maybe not so effective) natural deodorants. I put 12 clean ingredient deodorants to the test each month and follow up with a thorough review at the end of the month. I have high standards and expectations when it comes to natural deodorants cause there are so many out there, but really, there’s only few that are truly work. There may be good ones, ok ones, or subpar ones. Who knows?!? But there’s where I come in. I’m here to share with y’all my experiences and help y’all find the one(s) that may be a good fit to y’all. So let’s start with January’s deodorant.
Meet Magic Deodorant in Lavender Mint from Noniko. I was introduced to this deodorant from a sample that was in the Pharmaca Beautiful You Beauty Bag last October. I’m always on a hunt for a good deodorant like I’m always on a hunt for a good SPF. 🙂 The sample size was very promising, so I knew I had to contact Noniko to do a full and thorough review. Thankfully, they were more than welcome to send me a full sized of this Magic Deodorant (thanks again Noniko)!
The Magic Deodorant comes in three different scents: Lavender Mint, Bergamot Grapefruit, and Lavender Ylang. I choose to continue with the Lavender Mint cause that’s what the sample one was. Lavender Mint contains “essential oils of lavender, rosemary, grapefruit and peppermint…[for a] fresh, rejuvenating, energizing, and crisp…[scent that’s] a sporty blend ideal for both men and women.” 🙂
So being that this deodorant is called Magic Deodorant, there were already high expectations. I mean, come on, I expected this deodorant to be magically spectacular from the get-go, and be magically everything I want a natural deodorant to be. Well, it does live up to all my expectations and then some! 🙂
- Full Ingredients: Coconut oil, beeswax, arrowroot powder, baking soda and specified essential oils. From Noniko: “Some people may be sensitive to baking soda, but without it this deodorant loses some of its magic. If rash develops discontinue use, or simply reduce application.”
- Noniko is keeping its ingredient list short, simple, and sweet. I love that they’re using 5 ingredients (minus the individual essential oils used). I feel like an effective deodorant doesn’t need all the frills and unnecessary ingredients (let’s be real, cause those other ingredients just increases the MSRP). 🙂
- Being that the first and main ingredient is coconut oil, the texture of this deodorant varies depending on the weather. This month’s LA weather has been rather warm with a sprinkle of cooler days. So on the warmer days, I noticed it glided on quite nicely; and when the temp dipped down a bit, it still glided on pretty well.
- I personally liked the texture of this. It didn’t feel gritty when applied. I didn’t need to spread it around. It was nice! 🙂
- Off white. No color transfer onto darker clothing.
Initial Smell Test.
- I absolute love the smell. It is a blend of lavender, rosemary, grapefruit, and peppermint. However, I think it’s a well balanced scent of both “lavender” and “mint.”
- I find that with natural deodorants, the standard (and traditional) scent is lavender. And it definitely comes out in the Lavender Mint.
- The “mint” scent is predominantly rosemary than peppermint, which is not a bad thing cause I feel like peppermint may be too overpowering and may even given off a tingly sensation.
- The grapefruit, to be honest, I feel was like an after-thought. In my experiences with skincare in general, the grapefruit essential oil is very subtle and very difficult to make (scent) out. 🙂
Final Smell Test.
- Lemme just start off by saying that I’m thoroughly impressed with the effectiveness. So I’m definitely not shy about taking a sniff test throughout the day. 🙂 Seriously, how am I suppose to be thorough about my #stankfreechallenge if I don’t do it. 🙂 On first application, I’m smelling fresh (obvi). By midday, I’m still smelling fresh. By bedtime, it’s less fresh but not stinky at all (unlike other natural deodorants I’ve tested in the past). TMI, but a few days during the month, I’ve woken up the following morning and I don’t smell bad—no stench, no odor, no smelliness, no stinkiness, nothing! 🙂 Y’all just have to trust me with timelines. 🙂 And trust me that there’s no odor whatsoever!
- When Noniko says Magic they mean magic!!! 🙂 I’m still impressed just thinking about it as I type. But, and yes there’s a “but.” But there’s a “but” for all natural deodorants, not just with Noniko; and that is that natural deodorants are not antiperspirants. People often feel like natural deordoants don’t work cause they’re still sweating*. And I will say that with the Magic Deodorant, I still perspire. But I’m ok with that! 🙂 My whole goal with the #stankfreechallenge is to smell good and fresh, and I definitely achieve that with Noniko’s Magic Deodorant. 🙂
I truly think I started my #stankfreechallenge off on a good note with Noniko’s Magic Deodorant in Lavender Mint. I’m sure their other two scents are just a fab, and I’m looking forward to the days when I can check out those two as well. 🙂 May your pits be #stankfree!
Get the Magic Deodorant Lavender Mint. Priced at $14.99. According to Noniko, “one 2.75 oz stick of our magic deodorant lasts up to 6 months, saving your wallet money while saving your body from toxins.” Such a great value!
*Side note: conventional deodorants are antiperspirants cause society has convinced us that sweating is “bad.” However, sweating is a good thing—it’s out body’s natural response to cooling down are body temperature. We sweat as a response to cool our regulatory system like we shiver as a response to warm our basal body temp. So natural deodorants don’t contain ingredients that prevent sweating. We need to sweat sometimes. And I guess that’s the tough part of transitioning from a conventional (antiperspirants) deodorant to one with clean ingredients.